Tuesday, February 13, 2007

At the beginning

Theo: Guess me.

Thao: Sure. What?

Theo: Maybe the asking of the questions is more important than getting to the answers.

Thao: Sure. When we ask questions we go under.

Theo: Going under? What do you mean?

Thao: Underneath the surface, beyond the obvious. We see that we dance a buggy-buggy of suppositions. We actually know very little and probably understand even less. Remember Socrates. He made his point about our ignorance and then he committed suicide to give an example to his dumb students. The rest? It is probably just a game with words.

Theo: Are you saying that we need to look into suppositions?

Thao: I am sorry, but that is the case. We are completely trapped in a web of suppositions. We have very little real knowledge but live a life of faith. I go even further. I believe that even Kant would tell us that Real knowledge is not for us because we cannot escape ourselves and face the real itself beyond reason.

Theo: Wait a minute. What do you mean?

Thao: No much. I give you an example. How do you know that the sun will come out tomorrow morning, or that you will be alive 1 hour from now? You do not, but you hope, have faith, that the sun will come up and that you will be there to see it coming up in its full glory. A good question is to ask about our dependence on faith. We turned faith into our highest trade and receive its blessing in the middle of our despair.

Theo: Too deep for me. I’d better get going.

Thao: No so fast. You asked me ‘what do you mean?’ I have the right to ask you if you know what you mean by asking this question. Do you know what is meaning itself?

Theo: Too obvious. I am saying that I do not understand.

Thao: There. What is understanding? That is my point. One last point, I bet that you believe that you will live forever. No? You say that you know that you will die one day, but you truly behave as you were going to live forever. Why? Because if you accept that you will be dead any time soon you would be terrorized, you life would be disassembled, and the cat would be thrown out the window. Now you can go and have fun. Adios.

No comments: