Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Creating a meaningfull soup

Tilo: No much today but a nagging thought.

Tal: What?

Tilo: What do you mean by meaning creators?

Tal: I mean that only human create meanings. I do not see cows or tabled asking me ‘what do you mean?’

Tilo: I see.

Tal: Surely, it does not tell us what meanings are but it shows that we are the only beings –as far as we know- that entertain that type of questions. I guess we are somewhat crazy!

Tilo: If so, then we could classify all things in the universe as either meaning creators or meaning sustainers.

Tal: Meaning sustainers? What is that?

Tilo: The meaning creators use the other things to cook meanings. You, know, like making a salad with lettuce and tomatoes. You add an once of little of value, a pinch of purpose, and a pound of lettuce and then you are ready for lunch. I mean, you either fall in love or find meaning in your life.

Tal: I guess that it what makes us different from the dogs and cats, from the tables and apples.

Tilo: So, what is that that we create, what is that thing that we call meaning? No. Probably it is better to ask, why do we create that that has disturbed the philosophers the last centuries? Why do we care about meanings so much that without them we prefer death? Why?

Tal: I do not believe Wittgenstein or Kant care about that salad. I think they were into chicken soups.

No comments: